Every fourth Sunday of the month- May though October.
Tour leaves promptly at 1:30 p.m. from the steps of the Museum and lasts approximately 90 minutes. Wear comfortable walking shoes. The tour covers about eight blocks. FREE – donations accepted.
The docent led tour begins at the Torrance Historical Society & Museum and will point out many of the historic sites and landmarks of Old Torrance. Guests will also learn about:
- What’s in the Torrance Memorial Time capsule (located in the Museum)
- What three Torrance properties are on the National Register of Historic Places
- Where the new Centennial Time Capsule Plaza is placed
- The original street names of “Torrance Boulevard” and “Post Avenue”
- What famous artist was commissioned to paint a mural on the side of the Employment Development Department building
- About the explosion that helped start Torrance
- Why the first homes built for the executives were rented, not sold
- What building was originally intended for the site where Torrance High School now stands
- How Torrance broke away from the Los Angeles Unified School District
- Why Torrance does not have a cemetery
The tour is an easy, but brisk walk covering eight blocks – the walk is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. It’s open to the public and requires no reservations. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended. You’re invited to bring your camera and a friend!