First built in 1904, the Hermosa Beach pier was constructed entirely of wood, even the pilings, and it extended five hundred feet out into the ocean. In 1913 the pier was partly washed away and later torn down with a new one built to replace it. This new pier was 1,000 feet long, built of concrete, and paved its entire length with asphalt. Small tiled pavilions were erected at intervals along the sides to afford shade for fishing and picnic parties. Later a bait stand was built on the end of the pier. Around 1914 an auditorium building was constructed which has housed various enterprises throughout the years. At present it holds the public restrooms, the Los Angeles Life Guard Service, and the local branch of the Los Angeles County Public Library. This pier is municipally owned.