Share
Waterfront Red Car Line

Waterfront Red Car Line

**CLOSED INDEFINITELY**

The Port of Los Angeles Waterfront Red Car Line was inaugurated on July 19, 2003.  The 1.5-mile vintage trolley line connects the World Cruise Center with attractions along the San Pedro waterfront.  The four Red Car boarding points are at the World Cruise Center, Downtown, Ports O’Call, and Marina stations. The Downtown Station at 6th Street and Harbor Boulevard stands where the original Pacific Electric San Pedro Depot stood years ago.

San Pedro Waterfront Red CarRed Car hours of operation are from 12 noon to 9 p.m., Friday through Sunday. The $1 fare includes unlimited rides for the day so passengers can jump off and on while seeing all downtown San Pedro and the LA waterfront have to offer, from the restaurants and gift shops to museums and art galleries.  Red Car rides are free during Port-sponsored events.

The restored and replicated Pacific Electric Red Cars were designed to serve the area with both transportation and enjoyment purposes.  Aboard the car, passengers appreciate the remarkable condition and authenticity of the trolley, feeling as though they’ve been transported back to the early 1900s with the open air, California-style windows and vintage product advertisements.  Port of Los Angeles craftsmen brought original Pacific Electric Red Car 1058 back to life, paying careful attention to detail, while adding some modern machinery features to improve safety and operational efficiency. Replica Red Cars 500 and 501 were each built from scratch, representing the look of the cars that ran on the San Pedro Pacific Electric system in the 1920s.

Free parking is available at the Downtown Station at 6th Street, Ports O’ Call Station at Sampson Way, and Marina Station at 22nd Street.

The Los Angeles & San Pedro Railroad was Southern California's first railroad. Its 21 mile line from San Pedro Bay to Los Angeles was built from 1868 to 1869 and began operations on October 26, 1869. The railroad was the brainchild of Phineas Banning and its primary purpose was to transport freight from the port to the city. The Los Angeles & San Pedro Railroad was purchased by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1873. (photo circa 1880)
The Los Angeles & San Pedro Railroad was Southern California’s first railroad. Its 21 mile line from San Pedro Bay to Los Angeles was built from 1868 to 1869 and began operations on October 26, 1869. The railroad was the brainchild of Phineas Banning and its primary purpose was to transport freight from the port to the city. The Los Angeles & San Pedro Railroad was purchased by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1873.
(photo circa 1880)
  1. By Ports O’Call Village | Best of the South Bay on September 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

    […] Waterfront Red Car Line – 60 seconds ago […]

  2. By San Pedro Fountains – Fanfare | Best of the South Bay on September 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

    […] Waterfront Red Car Line – 2 mins ago […]

  3. By Point Fermin Park | Best of the South Bay on January 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM

    […] especially as the town of San Pedro grew larger toward the late 1880s. Many visitors rode the Red Car to the end of Pacific Avenue and then walked the short distance to the lighthouse. Other modes of […]

Leave a Comment