The Manhattan Beach Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the heritage of Manhattan Beach, and to the collection and display of historical information and memorabilia about the city. The Society began as a committee in the early 1970s and incorporated as a non-profit, tax exempt organization on October 20, 1977. Their headquarters are in the historic beach cottage located in Polliwog Park.
This beach cottage or “Little Red House” serves as tribute to the community’s founders, and as the Society’s museum. It is a typical beach cottage of the time, built in 1905 at 205 Fifteenth Street. The cottage was moved to Polliwog Park in 1986, and restored by the City of Manhattan Beach, the Neptunian Woman’s Club, and the Manhattan Beach Historical Society. When stepping into the historical beach cottage, one gets a sense of stepping back in time.